Early menopause catches 3 out of 100 women unawares!
In our country, women enter menopause between the ages of 45 and 48 on average. However, due to the effect of various factors women may go through menopause before the age of 40, which is called “early menopause”. Undoubtedly, early menopause is a nightmare for all women and in this country, it comes unannounced for 3 out of 100 women. One of the most basic factors that affect menopause age is the age in which a woman’s mother or a close relative such as aunt enters menopause. Other important elements that lead to early menopause are diseases such as hypothyroid and cancer and factors such as the increase in environmental pollution. Unfortunately, it is not possible to eliminate these risks. On the other hand, there are also some lifestyle habits that are so inadvisable that they cause women to go through menopause unexpectedly. Doctor Derya Uyan, an obstetrician and gynecologist in Acıbadem Atakent Hospital, informed us on 4 bad habits that may result in early menopause:
Watch out! These habits may cause early menopause to catch you unawares.
- Smoking: Studies conducted on smoking and non-smoking women show that women who smoke enter menopause at an earlier rate than others. According to a study that monitored 2.000 women for 8 years, women who are smokers go through menopause 2 years earlier than those who are not.
- Malnutrition: When the body fat mass is reduced below a certain percentage, menstruation is interrupted. Being too slim and losing weight rapidly are reasons for cease of menstruation. When the fat percentage increases back to a normal level, menstruation may start again. A body fat index that is lower than 12%, hypothalamic amenorrhea, which is cessation of menstruation occurs. 1 out of 3 of women who suffer from this enter menopause early.
- Leading a stressful life: Even though stress is not a factor for early menopause by itself, it becomes an important element which triggers early menopause when it is accompanied by other factors.
- A sedentary lifestyle: It is well known that obesity which is caused by a sedentary life and unhealthy nutrition leads to early puberty. Girls who reach puberty early encounter the problem of early menopause as well.
What are the other reasons?
- Family history
- Ovary removal surgery
- Autoimmune diseases
- Cancer treatments
- Chromosome abnormalities
Take measures against early menopause
Obstetrician and gynecologist Derya Uyan listed the measures that can be taken in order to delay menopause:
- Exercise at least 3 times a week.
- Calculate your body mass index. Take care not to be underweight or overweight.
- Do not smoke and avoid secondhand smoke.
- Have a calcium-rich diet. Consume 200 milliliters of milk, yoghurt or ice-cream per day.
- Eat food with a high amount of antioxidants, such as fish, walnuts, fresh hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, pepper, carrots, damson plums, pomegranates, grapes, strawberries, watermelon, unprocessed grains and products of such foods. Additionally, consume beverages with a high oxygen radical absorbance capacity, such as green tea and fresh grapefruit juice.
- Take antioxidant drugs. You can supplement your diet with Coenzyme Q10, L-arginine or Royal Jelly.
- Sunbathe in order to facilitate vitamin D activation in your body.
- Avoid harmful chemical substances.