Acibadem Hospitals Group Thoracic Surgery Division provides comprehensive care for adult and pediatric patients from all around the world with the latest diagnostic techniques and treatment methods.
Thoracic Surgery Division is dedicated to provide broad range of surgical services for diagnosis and treatment of complex chest problems including the lungs and esophagus. Acibadem thoracic surgeons embrace a multidisciplinary approach, collaborating with specialists in oncology and radiology.
Some of the procedures/surgeries most frequently performed at our hospitals include:
1. LUNGS: Operations involving resection, reconstruction, repair and biopsy of the lung.
3. AIRWAYS: Operations involving resection, reconstruction and repair of the trachea and bronchi for neoplasms, strictures and trauma. Operations necessary for airway control, including tracheostomy, tracheal intubation and endoluminal procedures.
4. DIAPHRAGM: Operations involving resection, reconstruction and repair of the diaphragm.
5. MEDIASTINUM: Operations involving the mediastinum, including biopsy and resection of neoplasms, drainage of infections, mediastinal lymphadenectomy, mediastinotomy and mediastinoscopy.
6. PERICARDIUM: Operations of the pericardium involving resection, reconstruction and drainage.
7. ENDOSCOPY: Endoscopic procedures using both the flexible and rigid scopes and instrumentation of the tracheobronchial tree and oesophagus.
8. LYMPH NODES: Operations for biopsy of the cervical, mediastinal and axillary lymph nodes.
9. HYPERHIDROSIS: Operations on the thoracic sympathetic nerves.
10. THORACIC OUTLET: Operations to correct abnormalities of the thoracic outlet.
11. PLEURA: Operations for management of pleural mesothelioma, pleural space problems, including thoracocentesis, tube thoracostomy, shunting for pleural effusion, managing pneumothorax, pleurectomy, decortication and drainage and resection of empyema.
12.EMPHYSEMA: Operations for functional corrections and complications of emphysema.
13.TRAUMA: Operations for traumatic injuries to the chest or to organs within the chest and their sequelae.
Surgical Approaches of Acıbadem Thoracic Surgery Department
Minimally Invasive Surgery (VATS) for Early Stage Lung Cancer
Treatment of lung cancer can be curative for early stage of the disease. The most appropriate treatment for lung cancer is obtained by an extensive investigation of the patient by a council which contains experienced physicians like a Medical Oncologist, Radiation Oncologist, Chest Physician, Thoracic Surgeon, Radiologist, Pathologist and a Nuclear Medicine Specialist. When the investigations show that surgery will cure the disease the operation is performed by the surgeons who are experienced with lung cancer. In Acibadem Hospitals Group Thoracic Surgery Division, minimally invasive “Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS)” is performed for early stage lung cancer.
VATS Approach in Chest Surgery
VATS is a minimally invasive surgical approach to treat early stage lung tumors by using micro instruments and three small incisions of 2 or 3 cm in length. A tiny video camera is inserted through one of the incisions to enable the thoracic surgeon to view the chest cavity. Extraction of the lung nodules and the lobes is done using a bag without opening the chest.
The advantages of this minimally invasive procedure include:
- Shorter hospital stays
- Less post-operative pain
- Less scarring
- Faster recovery time