GAMMA KNIFE ICON
Gamma Knife Icon is the sixth generation of the Leksell Gamma Knife technology, which has involved over more than 60 years. It is the most accurate, most flexible and the safest of the Leksell Gamma Knife family.
What is Gamma Knife?
Gamma knife is a one of the stereotactic intracranial radiosurgery technique that treating the brain tumors and other brain abnormalities as part of radiation therapy. In gamma knife radiosurgery, the targeted tissues receive a very high dose of radiation in a single session, while the adjacent brain tissues are exposed only to a negligible dose of radiation. The aim of this procedure is to stop the growth of the tumor.
The Gamma Knife Process
Treatment is planned according to the specific needs of individual patients and this customized process is very easy, fast, reliable, safe, and straightforward. The computer software of Gamma Knife reduces the treatment plan to a list of simple instructions to guide the gamma rays to the target.
The treatment begins by fitting the stereotactic frame to the patient’s head. This is easily done within minutes and requires only local anesthesia. Once the frame has been fitted, an imaging procedure suitable for the patient’s pathology (i.e. MRI, CT, angiography) is performed. These studies create a very detailed and precise map of the brain. Then the treatment is planned with exact precision using a special computerized planning program. The treatment is fitted to cover the target with an accuracy of less than a millimeter, while protecting the surrounding brain and nerve tissues with exquisite safety. Then the treatment is administered usually over a period of 30 minutes to one and a half hours. These treatment times are longer for only a very few medical conditions. While the treatment is administered, the patient peacefully rests on the treatment couch and listens to music. Following treatment, the frame is removed and most patients are discharged from hospital on the same day. There is no need to return to hospital again after Gamma Knife procedures unlike most other surgical procedures. The patients continue with their routine life the way they did one day before the procedure.
What are the differencess between Gamma Knife Icon and Gamma Knife Perfexion?
- In the Icon version, patient could be treated with frame or with frameless (mask).
- Integrated stereotactic cone-beam CT helps physicians to determine the stereotactic coordinates in 3D.
- Patient could be treated in single session or more fractions.
- Icon is the most sensitive radiosurgery device comparing with the other radiosurgery devices.
What are the advantages of Gamma Knife treatment?
Gamma Knife is a painless and bloodless treatment method for brain tumors and other brain abnormalities. The advantages of Gamma Knife treatment are as follows:
- It can eliminate the need for open surgery for many types of brain tumors.
- It does not require general anesthesia
- It does not require going to operating theatre.
- There are no incisions on the scalp or head.
- Normal brain tissues are exposed to very little radiation.
- Hair does not have to be cut and does not fall out.
- Patients return to their homes or work on the day of treatment.
- There is no recovery period.
Which Diseases Can Be Treated with Gamma Knife?
Patients with benign brain tumors:
- Vestibular schwannomas (formerly known as acoustic neuromas)
- Pituitary adenomas
- Skull base tumors
- All other intracranial schwannomas
- Glomus jugulare tumors
- Tumors of the pineal region
Patients with blood vessel anomalies:
- Arteriovenous malformation ( AVM)
- Cerebral cavernous malformations
- Dural arteriovenous fistulas
Patients with malignant tumors:
- Malignant melanoma
- Uveal melanoma
- Certain glial tumors
- Nasopharyngeal carcinomas
Patients with functional diseases:
- Trigeminal nuralgia
Patients with movement disorders:
- Tremor associated with Parkinson’s disease.
Patients who refuse open surgery
- Patients unable to tolerate surgical procedures for reasons such as age or associated medical conditions.
Facilities Equipped with the Technology: Acıbadem Altunizade Hospital